I tend to keep certain aspects of my life hidden… such as my obsession with Jimmy Neutron, my habit of eating waffles with whipped cream every night… things of that nature. I was skeptical for years of proclaiming my hidden love for the show Degrassi until I realized… I am not alone in the obsession, whatsoever. I thought for a long time I was the only one who had ever heard of or watched the channel Noggan (soon to be Team Nick… as in Team Nick Cannon??? Very confused but anyways). I realized SO many of my friends and classmates also are addicted to the originally Canadian show. Seeing as that I am DYING in anticipation for the new season to begin in October, I thought it’d be fitting to post my top 10 reasons I love the show now… just in case any of you are amateurs and want to catch up!
10) Spinner is still on the show — Spinner, the bad boy whose been through more girls than John Mayer has had his fair share of ups and downs, including bouts with cancer and bald heads. He had triumphed over it all however and managed to nab one of the only “FORMER DEGRASSI” spots on the show… AKA he’s one of the older members still returning back on the show. LOVES it.
9) Emma’s now unattractive and a brunette- I’ve always had issues with Emma… she’s hot then cold, up then down.. she never knows which guy she wants. I just don’t relate to her character at all. She used to be hot … after her whole anorexia/pre pubescent phase. The period during which her hair was blonde, she had boobs, and she was dating Peter.
8) Jimmy aka DRAKE aka Aubrey Graham- I LOVED him on the show, why you may ask? Because not only was he an athlete but a philanthropist, artist, and musician. Who could ask for more in a man I mean really? He also dealt VERY well with his shooting and his eventual handicap.
7) Peter’s on COKE in the new episodes- So me and my best friend Hadassa discussed recently the overlap of Degrassi themes but it’s all good- They’ve already done the “I’M A MUSICIAN THEREFORE I’M ALSO A COKEHEAD THEME” with Craig back in the day… But I love this one even more because Peter’s mom’s the Principle oh and he’s totally straight edge…. minus his “badass desire to drag race”.
6) Paige’s Questionable Sexuality– Ok so I’ll admit that I hated her for the first few years of watching the show… she was unattractive in my eyes and acted like the Queen Bee.. OH and she always says “SWEETIE” or “HUN”… When she decided to become Bi, however, I took a step back and decided she’s pretty freakin’ cool.
5) CRAIG, CRAIG, CRAIG- I don’t know what screams cool to me about him necessarily but I love everything about his character– he’s selfish, can’t decide who he wants more Manny or Ellie, dabbles with Coke obviously because he’s a musician and that’s what they do… and also gives up schooling for music. Yet again I say, “obviously”.
4) Ellie’s relationship with her boss- I can’t remember his name, the guy she started seeing right when she got to college, but anyway, regardless, he was quite the hunk. It also intensified his coolness that he was her boss for the newspaper at college. She’s a lost puppy looking for love and can’t seem to get it quite right ever… I feel kind of bad.
3) Marco’s style- Gay men in general know how to dress, so I can’t say he stands out but lately he’s been stepping up his game — in the new movie “Degrassi Goes Hollywood” he looked quite fly I must admit. Keep it up Marco.
2) The Newbies– Alli, K.C., Clare, and Connor- While 9th grade was SO very long ago for me, I can’t relate quiteee exactly to the new kids on the block but I do think they’re potential for DEGRASSI GREATNESS is high… especially because they all have demons of their own and are totally unique.
1) Last but not least– WHAT’S TO COME FOR….. Peter, Sav, Mia, Holly J, Darcy, and Riley during their final years at Degrassi? WE MUST WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER TO FIND OUT… I AM DYING!!!