I have veered clear of writing about ALL of the restaurants I go to lately.. I think that stems from the fact that I am 1 of… well let’s be realstic here, 1,000,800 other people who blog and photograph at the restaurants that they frequent??
I think for the sake of keeping my title as the “Restaurant Finder Guru” to my friends, I’ll stick to only posting reviews for restraunts that are out of this world… or at least A status in my book.
Balaboosta has been on the radar as an NYC Buzzworthy restaurant since the summer. I have wanted to go, but didn’t really find the right occasion for it. My parents finally came into the city for the first time this weekend since having moved here. We have our usual spots such as Craft, Trattoria D’el Arte, The Harrison, Rosa Mexicano — so on and so forth. With that in mind, I thought I could try Balaboosta with my newly profound foodie parents.
I will say overall that the appetizers are THE HIGHLIGHT KNOCKOUTS of the dinner. Every appetizer we had/shared/devoured unbashfully was incredible. Literally. The entrees were so-so and the dessert was forgetable. I would absolutely hands down go with a group, order shit tons of appetizers and wine. Be done with it.
Here were some highlights:
- Crispy cauliflower with currants and pine nuts
- Smoked Eggplant Bruschetta with herb & citrus salad, silan
- Dave’s Grilled Pizza with carrot purée, caramelized onions, goat cheese & cilantro
The weaker dishes:
- Orecchiette Pasta with wild mushrooms, sauteed kale, fresh ricotta, thyme & olive oil
- Chicken Cooked “Under A Brick” with israeli couscous with dried apricots and green leeks, gremolata sauce
- Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream