In Uncategorized on July 5, 2010 at 9:38 pm
I have been battling major issues with heat — my years of baking for 10+ hours a day in the sun are far gone. To be honest, I don’t miss the uneasy feeling usually felt after having sat for way too long in the sun on a daily basis. My skin is yelling with happiness I’m sure. Regardless, I miss the sun and being able to relax comfortably outdoors. With that in mind, today I decided to break out of my hotel room and venture to a local park. I picked the closest park to my hotel, Ink48,which happened to be Hell’s Kitchen Park located on 10th Avenue between West 47th and 48th.
Here are the few things I learned at the park today:
- Water guns, more specifically Super Soakers, are back and better than ever — each child that found their way to the park wouldn’t DARE come without being locked and loaded… without a water gun that is.
- Wetsuits are apparently very much appropriate attire to wear to a local park — well, if you think more about it, the entirety of your stay at the park consist of you fighting with fellow tykes in the water pools or in my case being “water fountained” by a little girl who felt she was a walking water shooter.
- Kids are smarter than adults — we don’t think to wear JELLY SANDALS to a park that features various water attractions do we? No, no we don’t. Most of us show up in leather open toed shoes or even canvas flip flops, all of which were NOT meant to be water fountained on for sure. Jelly sandals are most definitely still available for adults and should be purchased as a COOLER AND LESS FADDY ALTERNATIVE TO THE CROC
In Uncategorized on July 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm
I love nothing more than stumbling upon a cool restaurant by way of Opentable and Zagat reviews. My girlfriend Chelsea and I wanted to try a place we’ve never been on the U.W.S. After doing a bit of searching, I came across a Greek restaurant located at 505 Columbus Avenue, called Kefi.
I must preface this review by saying I am a HUGE GREEK fan — pretty much, the cuisine combines all of my favorite produce and cheeses into mix and match dishes. Give me any dish that incorporates feta cheese, fresh fish, tomatoes, orzo pasta, and chicken and I am literally a happy ass camper.
Chels had the Greek Salad to start and I had the special for the day which was a White Bean Soup with a hint of lemon and dashes of parsley — a bit lemony but delicious and satisfying nonetheless.
For entrees Chels enjoyed the Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Dill, and Garlic. I had this unbelievably good and inexpensive dish that my mom makes back home — Shrimp, Orzo, Spinach, Tomatoes and Feta with a side of Sauteed Broccoli Rabe. Not only was the dish delicious but extremely inexpensive for NYC standards coming in at 13.95 — I’m not kidding.
Make your way to Kefi Restaurant if you’re in the mood for a no frill but extremely solid Greek dinner in a bustling atmosphere.
Kefi Restaurant, 505 Columbus Avenue, New York (212) 873-0200
In Uncategorized on July 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm
Are you looking to get your big break in the music industry? If you are, definitely check out Alternative Apparel’s new Unsigned Artist Contest going on now. Here are the specifics from the website itself — check it out folks http://bit.ly/aqHYdp:
Now is your opportunity to show the world your musical talent and enter Alternative’s Unsigned Artist Competition! Not only are we looking for a face and voice to represent our cutting-edge clothing brand, but we hope to foster creativity, individuality and self-expression in our customers and the larger community.
Through this competition, Alternative seeks to highlight aspiring singer/songwriters/bands through our online platform and showcase their creativity to millions directly, in turn connecting them with others who share their passion, including experienced industry insiders who can offer guidance. By featuring the winner as part of an upcoming seasonal fashion campaign, we will celebrate the eclectic individuals who comprise Alternative’s unique community and help to jump start the career of a remarkable young musician.
- Grand Prize: One winner, selected by Alternative Apparel from all eligible entries, will win a trip to New York City for an exclusive showcase of their version of the song and appear as the face of an upcoming Alternative fashion campaign! Plus, the winner will be the center of an exclusive interview, receive $1,500, a brand new Alternative Apparel wardrobe and more!
- Runners-Up: Three winners, selected by Alternative Apparel from all eligible entries, will win a trip to New York City where they will have the opportunity to perform their version of the song in front of an exclusive panel of judges and become one of the faces of an upcoming Alternative Apparel fashion campaign! Plus, the winner will receive $500, an interview opportunity to promote themselves and more!
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Create a video of yourself performing your version of “Brighter Than Sunshine.” Be sure to write a great description telling Alternative Apparel why you should win.
- Click the Submit Entry tab and follow the steps provided.
- Tell your friends to visit the Unsigned Artist Competition site and vote for your entry online.